Perhaps it could in some portion be quantified as "The ability to think about a
program without the ide/language structure suggesting paths for you".

The possibilities are infinite.  I can imagine that would be a problem for many.

David

From: Igor Chudov [mailto:ichu...@gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 17, 2009 12:22 PM
Cc: mod_perl list
Subject: Re: Why people not using mod_perl

Just to add a little bit.

In my experience, perl programming requires a certain type of mind. I cannot
define it very precisely, but not everyone can "think in perl". Those who can,
basically, have a huge advantage over those who cannot, but that naturally
limits perl adoption somewhat. I think that more people can think in java than
in perl.

I would hope that as long as use of perl is substantial, it will remain a
viable platform that I can enjoy and use to live and make money. I do not care
if perl is "very popular", or just "popular", I will be happy as long as it is
"viable".

Igor