On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 2:30 PM, Igor Chudov <ichu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> My site algebra.com is about 80,000 lines of mod_perl code.
>
> I wrote a relatively large framework, with many homegrown perl modules,
> about five years ago.
> It uses a database, image generation modules, a big mathematical engine that
> I wrote (that "shows work", unlike popular third party packages), etc.
>
> All pages of my site are dynamic and it is very image heavy due to math
> formulae.
>
> I can say two things:
>
> 1) It is relatively fast, serving pages in 0.1 seconds or so

It is fast, just visited it.  However, I think you could get a faster
initial page load by compressing the html returned to the client using
mod_deflate.  The main page request was 137 milliseconds and you could
probably drop that by 30-50% with gzipping the output.

Nice work!

> 2) Despite the quantity of code, and its age, it is still very maintainable
> and understandable (to me).
>
> If I was to make a choice again, I would go with mod_perl again. With Perl,
> I can "stand on the shoulders of giants" like Lincoln etc, and use the
> brilliant stuff they provided to serve my users.

Yes, that's why I use mod_perl.  The core developers on the Apache
Httpd, and mod_perl core are world class.