This is a mod_perl list, so I would expect to see Perl championed pretty heavily, but Java, .net and there ilk are undoubtedly *the* choice for large web applications. I'd like to get into some discussion as to why almost all *large* sites choose these languages.

I don't have any experience developing a large application in Java, although I do have a lot of experience working on the operations side of a large web application that is Java based.

The reasons I generally hear for choosing Java over mod_perl are:

1) Speed - I don't buy this at all
2) Maintainability - I think this makes sense. Perl can be pretty easy to maintain if you stick a good framework around it, but you have to seek out that framework and YOU are responsible for adhereing to it. All of that is inherent in Java. It also helps that Java has OO built in. 3) Easier to package and build/move code - In my experience this is true. 4) Advantages to be gained from running on an actually application server - Also valid 5) Compatible enterprise class middleware - Also true, Java plugs into more truly enterprise level suff than Perl does. (security frameworks, etc... ) 6) Support

A lot of the industry seems look at Perl as obsolete technology that has been replaced by *insert hot new technology of the week here* which is a total shame. I've worked with a lot of technologies and I think Perl is a great choice for small/medium websites and webapps, which is probably what most of us work on. But I'm very interested to know at what point (if any) a site/app grows too large or too complex for mod_perl and what defines that turning point. Could Amazon run on mod_perl for example?