So it sounds like Apache is simply not going to meet my needs. In the event that I do need to replace Apache, hopefully you can save me some research time and recommend me one of the listed options that fulfills my needs (or confirm that perlbal does)

I need the following features:
1) provides support for named virtual hosts
2) supports SSL to the client
3) supports URL rewriting (similar to mod_rewrite)
4) knows the availability of pool members and provides high availability.
5) the ability to serve static content itself

I guess 5 isn't strictly neccessary, but it would be nice to serve static content (css/js/images/etc...) from the same piece of technology without proxying those requests to another Apache instance running on the same host (or something)

Thanks for all the help!