LVS does sound interesting but in your infrastructure layout aren't your single LVS load balancers single points of failure? Especially if they are running on older hardware? Maybe that isn't important in your environment? However, it seems like that negates a lot of the "high availability" goal of load balancing.

It still may be a possibility for me, possibly running on the same host as my existing web layer apache instance and using a localhost connection... I will definitely look into it.

Again, I'm used to working in web applications with a full blown app server. I love working with mod_perl, but I do find myself missing the advantages an app server gives me sometimes.

I'm ignorant there. What advantages exactly?

I'l be brief here because this is a mod_perl list :)

The specific product I'm used to working with is IBM Websphere, which allows you to cluster your individual app servers and then manage them all from one administration tool. So settting or config changes, code deployments, etc... are snynced across all nodes. It makes managing app "clusters" extremely easy. It also provides a plugin to IBM's http server that handles proxying back to the application servers and provides load balancing/high availability,

Those are the two advantages that address my original questions directly. App servers provide a lot of other benefits such as allowing you to leverage things like shared memory and shared DB and messaging connections/buses... many of these can be simulated in mod_perl. (Apache::DBI, etc...)