On Thu, Apr 15, 2010 at 8:17 PM, Brad Van Sickle <bvs7...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What are you guys using to cluster the LVS servers?  Is that functionality
> native to LVS?

There's a heartbeat system you can use for HA.  If you look at the
docs for LVS you'll see info on it.

> Also, I've come across "fastcgi" a lot in researching this and I'm having
> trouble understanding exactly what it is.

FastCGI is a protocol for sending web requests to a daemon.  It is
implemented by multiple web servers and the daemon can be in any
language.  There's plenty of perl support for FastCGI and apache
supports it, as do nginx and varnish and many others.

> The fastcgi website makes it sound like it's almost a mod_perl replacement
> and another approach to executing perl code in a web environment

Correct, it's an alternative to mod_perl.  You can find discussions in
the list archives about the tradeoffs.  Basically, you can't use any
of the apache API stuff, like filters or the auth system.

- Perrin