On Wed, Apr 14, 2010 at 3:15 PM, Brad Van Sickle <bvs7...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So it sounds like Apache is simply not going to meet my needs. In the event
> that I do need to replace Apache, hopefully you can save me some research
> time and recommend me one of the listed options that fulfills my needs (or
> confirm that perlbal does)

You may want to try Apache with the event mpm using mod_proxy.  I
haven't used that, I ended up using Perlbal mostly so I could
customize the code without having to deal with intermittent segfaults
like I did when I patched apache and got something wrong.

> I need the following features:
> 1) provides support for named virtual hosts
> 2) supports SSL to the client
> 3) supports URL rewriting (similar to mod_rewrite)
> 4) knows the availability of pool members and provides high availability.
> 5) the ability to serve static content itself

I think perlbal does all of this.  Getting it configured to do all of
this may not be straightforward, but the perlbal list is very helpful
for that.

That being said, I've heard really great things about Varnish, so I'd
try that if I didn't have perlbal.