What are you guys using to cluster the LVS servers? Is that functionality native to LVS?

Also, I've come across "fastcgi" a lot in researching this and I'm having trouble understanding exactly what it is.

The fastcgi website makes it sound like it's almost a mod_perl replacement and another approach to executing perl code in a web environment, however a lot of the webservers that implement fastcgi keep referring to it almost like it's a protocol that proxy servers use to talk to their back end app servers... I'm a bit confused about what it is, what situations it's used in, and if it provides me any benefit if I'm already married to mod_perl.

I know this probably isn't the best place to ask this question, but can someone clarify this for me?