Dave Hodgkinson wrote:
On 4 Jul 2011, at 11:03, Tosh Cooey wrote:

The only public AMI for EC2 setup with mod_perl I can easily find is an
OpenSuse one from 2009.

Services like Bitnami are a really nice platform for launching LAMP stacks,
unfortunately the P is anything but Perl :(

Is there a reason for the lack of plug'n'play mod_perl LAMP cloud service
providers?  Or are there a ton that I just don't know about?

Because you really should build your own perl, mod_perl and Apache stack.

Come now.
I don't know the relevance of the above original question, nor the merits of that particular target platform.

But who nowadays is still building their own Apache/mod_perl/perl set ?
We have about 50 Apache/mod_perl/perl servers running, in-house and at customers, on a variety of platforms, and I cannot remember having to build any of them over the last 3-4 years at least. Which is very sweet, because as a sysadmin and applications programmer, I really don't feel like having to go hunting for missing dependencies, compatible versions, or outdated definitions in some .h file.
And I don't really have the time to do that either.
And for at least some of these platforms, I don't have the knowledge to do that
easily either.

Tosh,
the real answer is that all these software packages are open-source and free (as in free beer), so creating a package for some specific platform is only done when someone volunteers to do it (and maintain it) for that platform, and then makes it available for others.
And I guess that this has not happened (yet) for the particular platform which
you mention.
So you could probably render a service to the community by doing this, and posting the results somewhere.
Alternatively, I guess that you could ask Amazon themselves how to go about
doing that.