Torsten Förtsch wrote:
On Monday, July 11, 2011 09:13:25 Octavian Rasnita wrote:
I want to test ActivePerl 5.14 and I want to install Mod_perl for it
but I wouldn't like to need uninstalling the actual
Apache/Perl/mod_perl.

Don't you have separate module libraries?

Anyway, you always can use the DESTDIR=... option:

  make DESTDIR=/some/where install

This takes /some/where as root directory.

You then have to use PerlSwitches -I... or similar in the httpd.conf. You also have to modify the LoadModule statement to load the right modperl.

If you want to compile additional modules make sure they use the right header files and also use the DESTDIR option.

By personal experience, I believe that this is over-simplifying a bit.
Ubuntu/Debian packages are nice, and they "just work".
But these packages work by putting (very clever) links all over the place, and I wish good luck to someone wanting to combine this with, for example, another perl and a mod_perl installed from source, while keeping the same Apache. (E.g. if it needs changing the LoadModule line in Apache, then of course you cannot run this concurrently with the normal version.) And trying to install a CPAN package over that, to a directory library that is not the default one, is a real pain. At least the last time I tried.

Admittedly, I am not the ultimate perl/mod_perl expert, and in the end I will defer to the real experts. But I believe that the OP is not a real expert either, and for now I'll stick to my earlier recommendation.