On Thu, Oct 29, 1998, a wrote:

> So what is the deal with using mod_ssl and SSLeay for a site that is making
> some money? Does everyone actually buy a RSA license? Is it possible to? It
> all seems confusing.

We already discussed this stuff recently (look inside the sw-mod-ssl archives
for the details please). So it would be nice when one of the US citizens on
this list who know the current state of their law better than me can write
a short and compact entry for the mod_ssl FAQ.

Perhaps someone of us finishes this possible skeleton:

| Q: Can I use mod_ssl inside the United States?
|
| A: Yes, but you have to buy BSAFE from RSA DSI for $3000...bla bla
|
| Q: Ok, but can I use mod_ssl inside the United States without charge?
|
| A: In general no, because of RSA, RC4, etc. patents but there are some
|    exceptions (RSAref+private-site, goverment organisations, etc.)
|    Bla bla..

Please complete this stuff once, so I can add it to the FAQ for the future to
avoid again and again finding answers to the same questions. Thanks.