On Thu, Oct 29, 1998, Jake Buchholz wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 29, 1998 at 06:57:09PM +0100, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> > We already discussed this stuff recently (look inside the sw-mod-ssl archives
> > for the details please). So it would be nice when one of the US citizens on
> > this list who know the current state of their law better than me can write
> > a short and compact entry for the mod_ssl FAQ.
> >
> > Perhaps someone of us finishes this possible skeleton:
> >
> > | Q: Can I use mod_ssl inside the United States?
> > | A: Yes, but you have to buy BSAFE from RSA DSI for $3000...bla bla
>
> You need to buy the BSAFE development libraries (although 4.0 exists,
> only 3.0 is available for linux, but this is sufficient, since 4.0 seems
> to only add stuff that doesn't apply to SSL), for $295 (w/o tech support).
>
> Depending on your situation, RSA's licensing of BSAFE differs.  One of the
> options is to pay a one-time licensing fee for a per-user license, and
> there's also some kind of an annual licensing fee structure (but it didn't
> apply to my situation so I ignored that bit).  A one-time 100-user license
> is $3000, 250-user is $4000, 500-user is $6000, 1000-user is $9000--and it
> goes on from there.  (Prices, subject to change, of course...)

So the minimum you have to pay is $295+$3000 for a 100-user
Apache+mod_ssl based webserver, right?

> Then you need to integrate the BSAFE 3.0 libraries with SSLeay, similar to
> (but not the same as) how rsaref was compiled in.  You'll also need to
> link things differently when you compile your Apache+mod_ssl/ApacheSSL.

Oh, that's interesting. Can you give me details so I can add BSAFE support to
the INSTALL file and the libssl.module script (different -l, -L options,
etc.)? What I at least need to know is:

1. Is BSAFE API compatible to RSAref?
   (when yes this mean SSLeay's RSAglue works, when not what
    else have to be used as the glue code)

2. What is the filesystem layout of the BSAFE dev libs package, i.e. where is
   the libxxx.a (for -L) and include files (for -I) and how are they named
   (xxx=bsafe for -l?, bsafe.h?)

Can you give us some details?