On Thu, Oct 29, 1998 at 06:57:09PM +0100, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> We already discussed this stuff recently (look inside the sw-mod-ssl archives
> for the details please). So it would be nice when one of the US citizens on
> this list who know the current state of their law better than me can write
> a short and compact entry for the mod_ssl FAQ.
>
> Perhaps someone of us finishes this possible skeleton:
>
> | Q: Can I use mod_ssl inside the United States?
> | A: Yes, but you have to buy BSAFE from RSA DSI for $3000...bla bla

You need to buy the BSAFE development libraries (although 4.0 exists,
only 3.0 is available for linux, but this is sufficient, since 4.0 seems
to only add stuff that doesn't apply to SSL), for $295 (w/o tech support).

Depending on your situation, RSA's licensing of BSAFE differs.  One of the
options is to pay a one-time licensing fee for a per-user license, and
there's also some kind of an annual licensing fee structure (but it didn't
apply to my situation so I ignored that bit).  A one-time 100-user license
is $3000, 250-user is $4000, 500-user is $6000, 1000-user is $9000--and it
goes on from there.  (Prices, subject to change, of course...)

Then you need to integrate the BSAFE 3.0 libraries with SSLeay, similar to
(but not the same as) how rsaref was compiled in.  You'll also need to
link things differently when you compile your Apache+mod_ssl/ApacheSSL.

--
Jake Buchholz                                 http://www.execpc.com/~jake
ExecPC Senior Systems Administrator                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]