Simon Cozens writes:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Yves Orton) writes:
>
> > Well suggest a name. It seems like folks concur that the name is not
> > so great so ill alias it to something else.
>
> Mail::Send::MIME?

That's nice, and reasonably as to what the module does descriptive.

I still feel that when faced with it among the plethora of other modules
that I listed earlier in this thread I still probably wouldn't've picked
it, because mime sounds like something complicated that I don't need to
do.  But missing "MIME" out of the module name would be odd, since the
module definitely does do mime!

I don't think it's a problem that can be solved merely by changing the
name of the module -- the fact that there are so many (other)
mail-sending modules out there means there's bound to be confusion.
Modules rarely get removed from Cpan, so as time goes on the problem is
likely to get worse: in more and more areas there will be several
(arguably too many) competing modules, making it hard for people to spot
which one they want.

The Cpan rating thing may help somewhat in this regard -- I will log on
and give MIME::Lite a good review sometime, honestly!

What would really be useful is a comparison of the various mail-sending
modules available, listing which features and interfaces each has and in
which situations it can be used -- in the hope that by sticking to facts
rather than including opinions it will not be too controversial; perhaps
the various module authors could even link to it in each of the modules'
docs?

Personally I found Simon's commentary on some mail-sending modules to be
very useful (and I didn't object to his choice of words: when he found
something he didn't like he merely said so -- he didn't insult the
code's author or make allegations about members of the author's familiar
or anything).

I mention the comparison idea because I've got half-mentally-composed an
article discussing the different CGI-parameter-parsing interfaces
available in various modules -- I don't really like any of them
(including CGI::Lite, of which I'm the maintainer), but they irritate me
in different ways and are less-annoying in different circumstances.

I'll let you know when it's finished, and try to put it somewhere where
it will be of use to somebody wanting to choose a CGI module.  Perhaps
I'll then do one for mail-sending (or templating, or XML parsing, or
dealing with command-line arguments, or ...) -- but if anybody wants to
beat me to it in an area where they have experience of a number of
modules I won't mind!

Smylers