* Dave Rolsky <autarch at urth.org> [2004/02/10 09:03]:
> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, A. Pagaltzis wrote:
>
> > * It's better to have comparative articles than module centric
> >   reviews; they're also less susceptible to manipulation.
>
> I think these are great.  The problem is they're a lot of work.  I've
> written two (POOP and date/time) and I know Perrin wrote one for
> templating systems.  They require you to look at _lots_ of modules and
> also to have a good understanding of all the problems that need to be
> solved in the area.

I agree with you, but, if you are already investigating software to
handle a task, wouldn't you look at as many alternatives as possible?  I
think the trick is to write down your observations after you do one of
these exhaustive searches.  For example, IIRC, Perrin wrote his
templating comparison paper because he spent a lot of time researching
the templating systems anyway.

(darren)

--
An idea is not responsible for the people who believe in it.