* On Mon, Feb 04 2008, Christian Bartolomaeus wrote:
> I think about putting some generic, non-specific methods in a separate
> module, which wouldn't be useful by itself, but would be used by the
> more specific modules. Maybe it would be useful to put those generic
> methods to
>
>   Chess::Rating::Calculate

Sounds good.  But how about just Chess::Rating?  There's no reason to be
too verbose... Chess::Rating is clear and easy to type.  Anyone
searching for a module that calculates chess ratings will likely find
yours and the name will encourage them to read more about it.  That's
the goal.

Also, do the users care about the algorithm used to calculate the
rating?  Would it not be better to have an API like:

  my $r = Chess::Rating->new( method => 'FIDE', ... );

rather than many separate modules?

Anyway, CPAN is very ad-hoc.  People will discover your module if it has
good docs, so there's no need to worry too much about the name.  Good
code speaks for itself ;)

(Who would guess that "Angerwhale" is blogging software or that
"Catalyst" is a web framework?  Hopefully nobody, but both have quite a
few users.)

Regards,
Jonathan Rockway