Hi,

I'm new to this list and I'm relatively new to Perl, so please be
patient if I'm asking something stupid.

[As a side note: I asked a similiar question at
[EMAIL PROTECTED], but didn't get much input regarding the
namespace question.]

I wrote a perl module for calculation of FIDE chess
ratings (cmp. [1]).

There are already two modules related to chess ratings at CPAN:

* Chess::Elo (by Terrence Brannon) [2]
  This module calculates "Elo" ratings -- but it doesn't fit exactely
  with FIDE ratings, because the calculation method differs.

* Chess::FIDE and Chess::FIDE::Player (by Roman Parparov) [3]
  This modules is used to parse players from the FIDE rating list. It
  doesn't calculate ratings.

IMHO both names are a bit ambigous in so far as they don't reflect
what the modules are doing actually.

I came up with the idea to name my modules like

  Chess::Rating::Calculate::FIDE
  Chess::Rating::Calculate::DWZ

I think about putting some generic, non-specific methods in a separate
module, which wouldn't be useful by itself, but would be used by the
more specific modules. Maybe it would be useful to put those generic
methods to

  Chess::Rating::Calculate

Unfortunately those names don't fit with the existing modules.

Finally my questions: Is it bad practice to invent yet another
namespace instead of adding to an existing one (Terrence Brannon
offered me to use "his" Chess::Elo namespace)? Do you have any advices
for me?

Best regards

Christian

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating