* David Cantrell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008-03-31T11:28:49]
> If you only care that it be free software, then you needn't bother, as that's
> one of the pre-requisites for something being on the CPAN.

I don't believe that's actually true.  Is there some requirement, when
uploading, that one has agreed that anything uploaded without some OSI license
attached is actually automatically licensed under the Perl 5 license, or..?

You might call it a prerequisite, but unless the author has agreed to it, it
isn't true.

This is a problem for, say, Data::UUID where the author uploaded it with no
license and then vanished, leading Debian to secretly wrap a slightly
incompatible module with code called Data::UUID.

> > [1] Among others I have talked to the Debian and Fedora packagers and
> > they both said that one of the problematic issues with CPAN modules is
> > the lack or incorrect license information.
>
> How can they possibly determine whether a licence is correct or not?

It can conflict between the POD and the META.yml, perhaps.

> I would also note that the META.yml license field is insufficiently
> documented, and that what little documentation there is shows that the
> spec is buggy.  This page:

Agreed, whole-heartedly.  This recently came up briefly in comments on Barbie's
use.perl.org journal.

--
rjbs