On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 11:09 PM, Gabor Szabo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Maybe there should be a module on CPAN (and maybe even distributed in
>  core perl?)
>  that list some of the major licenses *with their full text*. Then both

I don't know if the full text is necessary.  I have a boilerplate
module that I'm working on and I have this (not exhaustive) list --
it's a keyword, a "name" to put in prose, and a link to the source.
That should be sufficient.:

my %licenses = (
    apache => {
        name    => 'Apache License, Version 2.0',
        source  => 'http://www.apache.org/licenses/LICENSE-2.0',
    },
    artistic => {
        name    => 'Artistic License, Version 1.0',
        source  => 'http://www.perlfoundation.org/artistic_license_1_0',
    },
    artistic2 => {
        name    => 'Artistic License, Version 2.0',
        source  => 'http://www.perlfoundation.org/artistic_license_2_0',
    },
    bsd => {
        name    => 'BSD License',
        source  => 'http://opensource.org/licenses/bsd-license.php',
    },
    mit => {
        name    =>'MIT License',
        source  => 'http://opensource.org/licenses/mit-license.php',
    },
    gpl1 => {
        name    => 'GNU General Public License, version 1',
        source  => 'http://dev.perl.org/licenses/gpl1.html',
    },
    gpl2 => {
        name    => 'GNU General Public License, version 2',
        source  => 'http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.txt',
    },
    gpl3 => {
        name    => 'GNU General Public License, version 3',
        source  => 'http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-3.0.txt',
    },
    lgpl => {
        name    => 'GNU Lesser General Public License, version 2.1',
        source  => 'http://opensource.org/licenses/lgpl-license.php',
    },
    perl => {
        name    => 'terms of Perl itself',
        source  => 'http://dev.perl.org/licenses/',
    },
);

>  BTW It might be better to have an 'other' value which would mean the
>  module author put it there on purpose and not the 'unknown' which might
>  also indicate a missing value.

I agree.  "other" or "custom" is better than "unknown".

Regards,
David