On Mon, Oct 03, 2016 at 07:34:25PM +0100, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker wrote:
> Ditto.  I realise that fostering community involvement requires that the
> people who are intimately familiar with the codebase spend more time
> giving constructive review feedback on contributions and mentoring new
> contributors.  This can be frustrating in terms of short-term progress,
> but I strongly believe it's better for the long-term health of the
> project.

Over the years riba and I have discussed more than once the extent to
which I enjoy mentoring way more than he does, and therefore am much more
comfortable investing time even though only a fraction of the people I
mentor will end up as full contributors because the perceived cost for me
is a lot lower.

I put quite a significant amount of thought into trying to find a way to
either make mentoring -Ofun for ribasushi too and/or to find a way for others
to do the mentoring part around/alongside his work as primary architect.

Needless to say, the last few years' commit history for DBIx::Class and
the current situation demonstrate quite clearly that the emphasis in the
above sentence is on 'trying' and that my efforts in that regard ended
in abject failure.

http://shadowcat.co.uk/blog/matt-s-trout/   http://twitter.com/shadowcat_mst/