On Sun, Oct 02, 2016 at 12:34:06PM -0700, fREW Schmidt wrote:
> I am content with Riba's plan, though am skeptical he could find a person
> living who can replace him.  Not to offend the various people who could,
> but the combination of intelligence, caution, and knowledge of the project
> itself, and motivation is going to be hard to pass along, though I'd love
> to be proven wrong.

Personally, I think the toll trying to maintain DBIC effectively single handed
has clearly taken is good evidence that trying to replace riba's work with a
single person would be a terrible idea for them, if not for the project, and
that a return to the team development model of the olden days is probably
the only viable approach, though building additional caution into it since
we're now even bigger and more crucial than we were then would be wise.

> Not to be overly negative but I also don't think what any of us do about
> this will make a difference. I will be astounded if there is another major
> DBIC release in the year after ribasushi leaves. That gives the community
> and pause admins plenty of time to act after the fact.

Entirely possible, though I suspect if we managed to get all of the branches
people had planned that were delayed because riba's response to the proposed
features was "yes, but please wait for me to finish X first" done then that
work in itself might be a major release's worth.

That will, however, be a question to be addressed by whatever the project's
governance is once the current dust settles, so I guess defer it for now.

http://shadowcat.co.uk/blog/matt-s-trout/   http://twitter.com/shadowcat_mst/