Bill,

I have the predecessor to the #18017. It's a two step
lader as well but only one step folds down.  I was
able to mount it so that the submerged step is about
12" underwater when in use.  It's a little shallow but
works ok. I thought you used mine at last years CBR?

The new one looks like it will be deeper in the water
but may stick up over the transom.  The older one
doesn't stick over the transom which turns out to be a
good thing for  my temporary vane steering mounting.

I don't think you will find a better one around
because it seems to be the only one around.

I was able to find T nuts at a local speciality store,
(wholesale) and got them for about $.20 each.  If you
decide to go that route I will try to find it again.

I mounted mine 3 years ago by threading the backing
plate through and it has worked well.  The T nuts have
little sharp tabs which pull into the wood as the bolt
is tightend.  I varnished/sealed the backing plate and
set the Ts in epoxy before I installed the plate. 
There has been no hint of any detioration so far.



Thanks

Doug
--- Bill Riker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It's time to bite the dreaded bullet and tackle two
> long-procrastinated
> projects.  Adding a boarding ladder and motor mount
> to Storm Petrel's stern.
> 
> I would appreciate any suggestions and warnings as
> to the best make and
> model boarding ladder for the M-15.
> 
> Tod, yours is the Garelick #18017 (WM #283770),
> right?    Does it extend far
> enough into the water to get your foot on it?
> 
> Charless Fowlkes has a Windline 3-step telescoping
> ladder, WM # 165037.
> Charless, what kind of modification was needed when
> installing yours?   I
> assume it was because the ladder is desinged for
> attachment to a swim
> platform.  I like the telescoping models, but are
> they strong enough?  Does
> the ladder lay against the transom when extended? 
> It seems to me that the
> sturdiest design would rest against the transom to
> spread the horizontal
> load.  Those that stand off put the load on one
> place, usually where they
> pivot. I'm leaning toward the Windline TT3X.  It
> stands off, but is made for
> direct transom attachment, not to a swim platform.
> 
> I know Doug Kelch added one last summer.  What did
> you use, Doug, and are
> you happy with it?
> 
> As much as I dislike cutting holes in the boat, I'm
> leaning toward
> installing inspection ports for access to the
> transom bolts.    I'm sure I
> could fish a backing board/plate into place and
> attach it with Tee nuts, but
> then I can't check or adjust, if needed.   Wow.  I
> just looked up ss Tee
> Nuts in the WM catalog: $47.49 for a pkg of 25 ea
> 1/4", or $31.49 for ten
> 5/16".  And I might need both!  It's only $11.00
> each for inspection ports,
> and it might simplify installation.
> 
> Anyway, all advice, taken or not, will be
> appreciated.
> 
> Thanks,
> Bill Riker
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> 412-341-7198
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
>
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now.
http://mailplus.yahoo.com

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to