Bill,
  I did the same project on Tullamore a couple years ago.  I used Peel
Away Bottom Paint Stripper.  It's safe on fiberglass and gel coat and is
available from West Marine (page 338 in the 2003 catalog).  It's a messy,
slow, tedious job getting that old paint off though.  The stuff smears on
like finger paint, you leave it there for a hour or two I believe,
covered with wax paper, and it softens the old paint so you can wipe,
scrape, rub, etc., etc., and eventually get the slimy paste off.  It
won't be a pretty finish when you're done though. The old gel coat will
be stained and lines of the old paint will be visible in any old
scratches that they painted over.  I had to repaint the hull below the
boot stripe.  My boat lives on a trailer also, so I used VC High
Performance Epoxy paint which has worked out excellent. It is a very hard
finish, excellent for trailering, and has a Teflon component, which makes
it very fast, too.  If you want to see pictures of mine, there are some
on the web site under Raise the Montgomery, Larry Yake's method. (clever
name, huh?) It made the boat look 100% better, especially when she's
heeled over!  ;-)

Larry Yake
M17 #200
Tullamore
"In a power boat you get there faster.
 In a sailboat you're already there."


On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 14:15:47 -0800 Bill Sylvester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
writes:
>         Endelig has had numerous different applications of bottom 
> paint and 
> she looks pretty shabby below the water line.  Since she will be a 
> trailer boat, we are planning to not have any paint on her hull.
>         Paint strippers that I have found say "Don't use on 
> fiberglass!"  Is 
> there a paint stripper or method to get the old paint off without 
> dulling the jell-coat?
>         She also has patches of mussel hairs that are proving very 
> tough to 
> remove.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> Bill
> 
> M-17  # 279
> Endelig
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> 
> 

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to