The bracket came with the boat, so I've never tried the cutout with any motor.  But I 
see from other replies that there might be some interference.  I'd say even with the 
bracket you could manage rudder/prop contact under some extreme circumstances 
(especially if you're juggling the motor and the rudder at the same time--I guess I'd 
recommend one or the other, but not both--I've done both, but for me it's 
disconcerting).  My rule of thumb is steering with the rudder with the motor fixed is 
best because the boat is much more responsive to the rudder than the motor.  

I also have the older 2 with no clutch, which can make life interesting until you 
break the code--you get good at manipulating the power head backing up.  The nice 
thing about the 2 is when its throttled down the boat moves slowly and you have time 
to think about your next move.  

I might add that without a tiller tamer of some kind to secure the rudder amidships 
while you maneuver the boat with the motor alone (especially in reverse), you'd be in 
a world of hurt.

Just dry run all the conditions so you know ahead of time what doesn't work, then go 
slow when you do it for real.  I can't imagine you'll have to worry much about the 
motor in the raised position while sailing.  t



Tom Smith & Jane Van Winkle
Sandpoint, Idaho
M15-345, Chukar
M17-064, Unnamed




_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to