> It won't be a pretty finish when you're done though

True. I sanded Dolphin down to gelcoat before applying an epoxy barrier and
new bottom paint. One way or another you'll probably want to paint it. I
tried Peel-Away and found it to be more trouble than it was worth, but I
know that others would disagree. The yards seem to use rotary sanders to
remove old bottom paint and they can do it very fast, but I didn't like the
scratches and gouges that left so I spent a miserable few days using a
scraper and palm sander. I never want to do that again, but it was a lot
more gentle on the hull.

BTW: I found later that there are two varieties of Peel-Away. The
(expensive) marine version and the cheaper (surprise!) other variety that
you buy from the paint store. Dunno how much difference there is between
them.

Giles Morris

_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to