Mike,

I purchased a new M-17 , s/n 604 which was delivered in 2000. I have the CDI
roller furler you mentioned, but I installed it myself. The advantage in
having it installed at the factory, is that it will save you the trouble of
sending the sail off to its manufacturer to remove the hanks and add the
bead required to slide into the CDI. While you are at it, I'd ask for a
second reefing point.

The furler will have to be lashed to the mast when you are trailering the
boat, but it can be easily done with bungees. The bungees I found best for
that are the ones that have a ball on each end, and are short enough to
reach around the mast in one loop.

I ordered a 150% tanbark jib from Bob's oem supplier, Elliott-Pattison, and
received very good service. Skip Elliott is the person I dealt with, and he
was very helpful and extremely patient with my lack of sailing experience.
(Skip Elliott  Phone 949-645-6697, e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]). I would not
hesitate to deal with Elliott Pattison if I ever buy another sail.

Best of luck.

Clarence Andrews
M-17 Carpe Ventum
M-6-10 Carpe Ventum Jr.

----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 2:02 PM
Subject: M_Boats: roller furling for my new Montgomery 17?


> Hi, My name's Mike Smith and I ordered a new Montgomery 17 two weeks ago.
She
> should be ready for launch by mid-March. I last sailed 15 years ago when I
> was living on Long Island. I owned a Thistle then which is a 17 foot
racer/day
> sailer and crewed on larger boats. Now I live in Las Vegas and bought the
> Montgomery 17 for sailing Lake Mead locally and points beyond (Southern
California,
> Sea of Cortez). Could anyone help me make a decision on whether or not to
> equip the boat with a roller furling jib installed by Montgomery Boats?
I've
> never trailer sailed and wonder if  the roller furling set up will
complicate
> launch, retrieval and storage of the boat. The jib being offered with the
CDI-FF2
> system is 109% which is the same as the working jib. I'm given to
understand
> that the Montgomery 17 is gernerally sailed with a genoa head sail in the
light
> air conditions prevalent in the southwest. I haven't talked to Bob Eeg yet
> about whether it would be possible to order a 150% set up with reefing
> capability. I'd enjoy the convenience of roller furling afloat but wonder
if a working
> jib and genoa might be the way to go out of the gate. I'd appreciate some
> thoughts on this matter.
> Thanks,
> Mike
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to