Thanks, Clarence!  I hadn't intended to correct you:  I thought there might actually 
be a reason for having a
reef-point in a roller-furling jib, just had no idea what that reason would be.  Per 
my first post, below, the
World-girdling Pardeys claim from experience that darker sails last longer, so I'll 
take their first-hand
wisdom over any ol' "Practical Sailor" study!  :-)   --Craig

----- Original Message -----
From: "n9ca" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2004 12:27 PM
Subject: reefing point?

Craig,

Sorry for not expresing my self more clearly. The second reefing point I had
reference to was on the MAINSAIL, and not the jib. I had to send my jib back
to be modified for use with the CDI. At the same time, I sent the main back
for the second reefing point. Thanks Craig for pionting out the error of my
ways. As an old professor told me one time that I should pull some of my
tail feathers, stick them in my tail, and get more direction and less
flight. This is one of those times.

Regarding the tanbark sails, Bill Riker has them on Storm Petrel. Last
summer at the CBR-2003 we could see those sails  in the distance long after
all the white sails had dissolved into the mist. Also, I've been told by an
old salt that they stand up to UV better than the white ones, but I can't
back that up by citing a scientific study.

Best regards,

Clarence

----- Original Message -----
From: "Honshells" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2004 11:04 AM
Subject: reefing point?

Clarence, Even though I pollute the M-List frequently with my amateur
opinions, I have a lifetime of learning
to do.  My question:  Why would you need a reef-point on a roller-reefing
headsail?  I'm jealous of your
tanbark jib:  I'll bet it really "classes up" Carpe Ventum (which is
ironic, b/c the tanbark color is intended
to imitate a working-boat's sail, so is not traditionally "yachty", but SO
pretty).  I attended a seminar with
Lin and Larry Pardey at Strictly Sail Chicago a couple weekends ago.  They
talked about cruising on a budget,
and said they preferred colored sails to white, b/c they hold up better:
They're less susceptible to UV
damage . . . I was surprised at this, because I thought color would "soak
up the sun", but when I think about
it, I guess most sunbrella protection for furling sails is colored.  I
will definitely mount tanbark when I
have the budget, b/c not only do I think it's beautiful, but apparently it
makes common sense, too (unless the
initial cost is outrageously higher, but I don't think that's the
 case).  --Craig

----- Original Message -----
From: "n9ca" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "For and about Montgomery Sailboats"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 6:08 PM
Subject: roller furling for my new Montgomery 17?

Mike,

I purchased a new M-17 , s/n 604 which was delivered in 2000. I have the
CDI
roller furler you mentioned, but I installed it myself. The advantage in
having it installed at the factory, is that it will save you the trouble
of
sending the sail off to its manufacturer to remove the hanks and add the
bead required to slide into the CDI. While you are at it, I'd ask for a
second reefing point.

The furler will have to be lashed to the mast when you are trailering the
boat, but it can be easily done with bungees. The bungees I found best for
that are the ones that have a ball on each end, and are short enough to
reach around the mast in one loop.

I ordered a 150% tanbark jib from Bob's oem supplier, Elliott-Pattison,
and
received very good service. Skip Elliott is the person I dealt with, and
he
was very helpful and extremely patient with my lack of sailing experience.
(Skip Elliott  Phone 949-645-6697, e-mail [EMAIL PROTECTED]). I would not
hesitate to deal with Elliott Pattison if I ever buy another sail.

Best of luck.

Clarence Andrews
M-17 Carpe Ventum
M-6-10 Carpe Ventum Jr.




_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to