Mike, I have the CDI and it does complicate raising and lowering the mast a bit . . . 
It adds weight, and
makes it harder to connect the forestay to the stemhead . . . And it's a little 
troublesome to stow the
assembly along the mast . . . It definitely adds time and effort to launch and 
retrieval . . . This summer,
I'll go with an adjusable backstay to ease the process . . . But I'm a lazy sailor and 
I love the furler's
convenience underway . . . Especially the roller REEFING, which allows me to reduce 
sail without leaving the
cockpit.  I'm sure Bob would install a 150 on request, and it sounds like you'd need 
it . . . To those of you
who have CDI's and regularly trialer and launch your boats, I'd love to read any tips 
on how to ease the
process.  --Craig

----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, February 13, 2004 2:02 PM
Subject: roller furling for my new Montgomery 17?

Hi, My name's Mike Smith and I ordered a new Montgomery 17 two weeks ago. She
should be ready for launch by mid-March. I last sailed 15 years ago when I
was living on Long Island. I owned a Thistle then which is a 17 foot racer/day
sailer and crewed on larger boats. Now I live in Las Vegas and bought the
Montgomery 17 for sailing Lake Mead locally and points beyond (Southern California,
Sea of Cortez). Could anyone help me make a decision on whether or not to
equip the boat with a roller furling jib installed by Montgomery Boats? I've
never trailer sailed and wonder if  the roller furling set up will complicate
launch, retrieval and storage of the boat. The jib being offered with the CDI-FF2
system is 109% which is the same as the working jib. I'm given to understand
that the Montgomery 17 is gernerally sailed with a genoa head sail in the light
air conditions prevalent in the southwest. I haven't talked to Bob Eeg yet
about whether it would be possible to order a 150% set up with reefing
capability. I'd enjoy the convenience of roller furling afloat but wonder if a working
jib and genoa might be the way to go out of the gate. I'd appreciate some
thoughts on this matter.
Thanks,
Mike




_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to