Wouldn't it be adviseable to replace all of your rigging, not just the forestay, if 
it's that old, or are you
saying you have more recent rigging, but it follows the 28-year-old design?

----- Original Message -----
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, February 14, 2004 9:22 AM
Subject: roller furling for my new Montgomery 17?


Clarence, I have yet to install the furler due to really cold weather. I have
to have a new forestay for several reasons:

The forestay for the furler demands toggles on both ends. The existing
forestay is attached to the masthead with a swaged loop. It is attached to the
toggle on the bow also with a swaged loop on a toggle.

The existing turnbuckle, tubular body with a knurled locking nut, is not
compatible with with the furler system.

The system demands an open turnbuckle with cotter pins, the forestay swaged
into the upper screw end of the turnbuckle. The lower screw end with T-bolt and
toggle.

The swaged end is passed through the middle of the luff. The outer slots of
the luff hold the sail luff and the halyard.

This is the best I can do at this time and suggest that that you phone CDI
(978 371-5508) and ask them to mail you the installation insructions, which I
did.They were very accomodating and I received instructions in three days.

There website is: www.sailcdi.com.

Hope this is of some help. Incidentally, my M17 is 28 years old and
consequently the rigging. I'm sure there are changes on the newer boats.



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to