Randy,
It is pretty obvious by now that numerous variables determine how well 17s
carry a motor, so I have to conclude that the motor should be stored if it
feels light and there is room, or should be left on if it seems heavy to
lift, or you need some extra space. I suppose that older boats will have
shown some damage by now if they are ever going to, and the new boats are
plenty tough.
Too bad that the little Honda 2 does not have the necessary kick for heavy
use, since it weighs a trifle (some 26 lbs.) and takes little space in a
car.  Likewise the 2 hp electric Torqeedo that weighs even less and folds
into a bag.
Tom
M17 Scintilla

  
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Randy Wirth
Sent: Monday, May 05, 2008 11:16 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: M_Boats: Dangling Motors

I have a 1974 m-17 that I purchased 6 years ago from a friend who purchased 
it from a friend.  Both friends and myself have left the 9.9 Yamaha 
installed during trailering without problems.

randy
M-17 "Fore Play"


----- Original Message ----- 
From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2008 8:35 PM
Subject: montgomery_boats Digest, Vol 63, Issue 9


> Send montgomery_boats mailing list submissions to
> [email protected]
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of montgomery_boats digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Re: dangling motors (Tim Diebert)
>   2. Re: dangling motors (Tom Jenkins)
>   3. Keel Hole... (Louis Aliotta)
>   4. Re: bimini for M-17 and potty (John Owens)
>   5. Re: dangling motors ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 16:41:13 -0700
> From: "Tim Diebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: M_Boats: dangling motors
> To: "'For and about Montgomery Sailboats'"
> <[email protected]>
> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> I always remove mine.
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tom
> Jenkins
> Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2008 12:30 PM
> To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
> Subject: M_Boats: dangling motors
>
> Montgomery people,
>
> On occasion, raising even a Honda 5 onto the outboard bracket of a 17 
> seems
> threatening to the skeleton, so I am wondering if any of you with a 21st
> century M17 leaves the iron jib in place while traveling.  The transom and
> bracket look strong, but I certainly would not want to compromise any of
> that nice fiberglass.
>
> Sorry if this has been discussed already.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom Jenkins
>
> M17 Scintilla (2004)
>
> _______________________________________________
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>
>
> -- 
> No virus found in this incoming message.
> Checked by AVG.
> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.8/1414 - Release Date: 5/4/2008
> 12:31 PM
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 17:10:30 -0700
> From: "Tom Jenkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: M_Boats: dangling motors
> To: "'For and about Montgomery Sailboats'"
> <[email protected]>
> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> Bob et al.,
>
>
>
> Perfect range of advice. I realize that it is more prudent to stash the
> motor, but it is nice to know the boats will take what you throw at them
> when they have to (add pounding on big waves with no leaf springs to
> trailering on dirt roads). Stashing a cold six-pack to reward the help 
> leads
> to maximum flexibility, and brewskis can be self-consumed if help is
> unnecessary.
>
>
>
> Of course, one can always go nuts and install one of these things I found
> while writing this message: <www.pickupspecialties.com/spitzlift.htm >
>
>
>
> Tom Jenkins
>
> Scintilla
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bob 
> From
> California
> Sent: Sunday, May 04, 2008 2:40 PM
> To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats
> Subject: Re: M_Boats: dangling motors
>
>
>
>
>
> Tom
>
>
>
> There is no problem leaving the motor on while trailering on M_17s I have
> built.
>
>
>
> We doubled up the lam and added extra reinforcing just for that purpose.
>
>
>
> I would recommend stowing the stainless motor mount in the UP position to
>
>
>
> reduce the ARM Times WEIGHT moment. Some people also tie a line between 
> the
>
>
>
> motor and a cleat to reduce bouncing. The same for the M_15s. No problem.
>
>
>
> Just don't park her overnight and get that Honda swiped.
>
>
>
> Fair winds
>
>
>
> Bob Eeg
>
> (949) 489-8227
>
>
>
>
>
>> Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 12:29:31 -0700> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To:
> [email protected]> Subject: M_Boats: dangling motors> 
>  >
> Montgomery people,> > On occasion, raising even a Honda 5 onto the 
> outboard
> bracket of a 17 seems> threatening to the skeleton, so I am wondering if 
> any
> of you with a 21st> century M17 leaves the iron jib in place while
> traveling. The transom and> bracket look strong, but I certainly would not
> want to compromise any of> that nice fiberglass. > > Sorry if this has 
> been
> discussed already.> > Thanks,> > Tom Jenkins> > M17 Scintilla (2004) > >
> _______________________________________________>
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 20:28:33 -0400
> From: "Louis Aliotta" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: M_Boats: Keel Hole...
> To: <[email protected]>
> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> So what's uyp with the water in my cockpit????  I know this is a common 
> problem with the M-15 and it is the only thing that really bugs me about 
> the boat.  Has anyone found a way to evacuate the excess water that comes 
> us throught that keel hole???
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 20:44:50 -0500
> From: John Owens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: M_Boats: bimini for M-17 and potty
> To: <[email protected]>
> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
>
>
> Robbin,
> Another option for a potty is my dandy dumper.  It is a folding toilet 
> with a plastic bag.  You can see it on my site www.jowoodworks.com .
> Let me know if I can help.
> JohnJohn OwensJ O Woodworks903-894-6293870 CR 3812Troup, Texas 
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> From: 
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: montgomery_boats 
> Digest, Vol 63, Issue 7> To: [email protected]> Date: 
> Sun, 4 May 2008 13:59:34 -0600> > Send montgomery_boats mailing list 
> submissions to> [email protected]> > To subscribe or 
> unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit> 
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats> or,

> via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to> 
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> > You can reach the person 
> managing the list at> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> > When 
> replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific> than "Re: 
> Contents of montgomery_boats digest..."> > > Today's Topics:> > 1. Re: 
> Comfort and Joy (Tim Diebert)> 2. Re: Comfort and Joy ([EMAIL PROTECTED])> 
> 3. Re: Comfort and Joy (Tim Diebert)> 4. Re: Single Line Reefing and Jib 
> Downhaul (Tim Diebert)> 5. bimini for M-17 and potty (robbin roddewig)> 6.

> dangling motors (Tom Jenkins)> 7. Re: bimini for M-17 and potty 
> ([EMAIL PROTECTED])> > 
>  > ---------------------------------------------------------------------->

>  > Message: 1> Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 07:17:06 -0700> From: "Tim Diebert" 
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Subject: Re: M_Boats: Comfort and Joy> To: "'For and 
> about Montgomery Sailboats'"> <[email protected]>> 
> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Content-Type: 
> text/plain; charset="us-ascii"> > Now this is a technique I have never 
> tried or even read about. I carry one> of those grapnel units as a second 
> and will try this next time.> ThanksJim.> Tim D.> ---------------------> 
> "Try this:> Drop a second anchor off the bow. Pay out very short scope 
> (anchor > just touching the ground then a few feet more). The second 
> anchor > should drag along and discourage the whole boat from wrenching 
> back and > forth. This works best with one of those grapnel type dinghy 
> anchors > (It actually works even better with a Hershoff anchor - but who 
> carries > those anymore?)> Drawbacks:> 1) It can require frequent 
> adjusting in areas with large tidal ranges > (or your second anchor will 
> just dangle when the tide comes in).> 2) It doesn't work very well with 
> Danforth type anchors.> 3) On some bottoms it just plain doesn't work.> I 
> started using this technique on a boat that would tack at anchor so > 
> badly that my crew threatened to sue for whiplash. I haven't anchored > 
> out on my new M-17 so I don't know if it's necessary.> Jim Poulakis> 
> "Spirit" M-17 #648"> > > > > ------------------------------> > Message: 2>

> Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 11:40:58 EDT> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: 
> M_Boats: Comfort and Joy> To: [email protected]> 
> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Content-Type: text/plain; 
> charset="US-ASCII"> > Tim,> > I often anchor my M17 "Miss T" from the 
> stern. I drop the anchor from the > stern while comming in to the spot I 
> want to anchor and once it is set and the > right amount of scope is out, 
> I tie the anchor line to the stern cleat, then > take the rest of the 
> anchor line outside of the shrouds, fair lead it around > the pulpit and 
> tie it off to the main cleat. That way if the wind and waves > get up 
> during the night, I can just uncleat the line from the stern, the boat > 
> pivots and I have automatically added 17 feet to the scope.> > John > > > 
> **************> Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on > 
> family favorites at AOL Food.> > 
> (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)> > 
>  > ------------------------------> > Message: 3> Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 
> 06:56:53 -0700> From: "Tim Diebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Subject: Re: 
> M_Boats: Comfort and Joy> To: "'For and about Montgomery Sailboats'"> 
> <[email protected]>> Message-ID: 
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Content-Type: text/plain; 
> charset="us-ascii"> > Now why didn't I think of that!> Thanks John.> 
>  > -----Original Message-----> From: 
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of> 
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> Sent: Saturday, May 03, 2008 8:41 AM> To: 
> [email protected]> Subject: Re: M_Boats: Comfort and 
> Joy> > Tim,> > I often anchor my M17 "Miss T" from the stern. I drop the 
> anchor from the > stern while comming in to the spot I want to anchor and 
> once it is set and> the > right amount of scope is out, I tie the anchor 
> line to the stern cleat, then> > take the rest of the anchor line outside 
> of the shrouds, fair lead it around> > the pulpit and tie it off to the 
> main cleat. That way if the wind and> waves > get up during the night, I 
> can just uncleat the line from the stern, the> boat > pivots and I have 
> automatically added 17 feet to the scope.> > John > > > **************> 
> Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on > family favorites 
> at AOL Food.> > 
> (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)> 
> _______________________________________________> 
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats> > 
>  > -- > No virus found in this incoming message.> Checked by AVG. > 
> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.8/1412 - Release Date: 5/2/2008>

> 4:34 PM> > > > > > ------------------------------> > Message: 4> Date: 
> Sun, 4 May 2008 07:15:37 -0700> From: "Tim Diebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> 
> Subject: Re: M_Boats: Single Line Reefing and Jib Downhaul> To: "'For and 
> about Montgomery Sailboats'"> <[email protected]>> 
> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Content-Type: 
> text/plain; charset="us-ascii"> > Tom said: "As always, though, I have 
> additional questions. You put all the> first reef> gear to starboard and 
> the second reef to port, requiring some type of> anchoring devices in the 
> tack cringles. Is there a reason why the reefing> line could not go 
> through the double block on the starboard side, through> the tack cringle,

> down to the other double, and aft to the block, the clew> cringle and the 
> starboard padeye? "> > >Yes, you could do that. It works perfectly for a 
> single set. > But the issue arrises with wanting to have two sets and as 
> little hardware> as possible.> If you had a double on either either side 
> of the boom forward(as there is> now)> ...you could utilize one shiv of 
> the double for the first and the other for> the 2nd> .....but then you 
> would have two different lines with two different> functions on > each 
> double. I have found that by isolating the lines they are easier to> keep 
>  > clear and sorted. Once reefed even one in there is loose sail and the 
> 2nd> set> of reef lines to deal with. Having all the lines and gear on one

> side seems> to> help me keep it straight. Pulling down on one side of the 
> tack does tend to> twist> the boom a bit...but there is no issue with sail

> shape or performance.> > Anyway, your boat is obviously loaded for bear. 
> Do you even have a full set> of lifelines?> > >The boat is not quite where

> I would like it yet but thanks. PUFF came with> lifelines> (and the 
> name...)> The jury is out on these. Some days I find them handy....other 
> days they> seem> completely in the way and even a bit dangerous. The boat 
> is pretty small to> close in> side decks like that. But when you are 
> sitting on the foredeck with your> legs straddling > the bow trying to 
> change down sail in larger waves, those lines are mightly> handy. For > 
> those days alone is why they remain. > > Thanks again for your great 
> information.> > >My pleasure. I hope it helps. Give and get.> > Sunny and 
> warm today, I am off to sail.> > Cheers, Tim in BC.> 
> ========================================> > Tom Jenkins> M17 Scintilla> 
>  > -----Original Message-----> From: 
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> 
> [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Tim> 
> Diebert> Sent: Sunday, April 27, 2008 8:43 AM> To: 'For and about 
> Montgomery Sailboats'> Subject: M_Boats: Single Line Reefing and Jib 
> Downhaul> > For whoever was interested in this two reef single line system

> and the jib> downhaul I use.> Images and explanation posted to a web page 
> here> <http://www.timtone.com/monty/singlelinereefing.htm> .> > I hope 
> this helps.> > Have a great weekend all.> > Cheers, Tim D. in BC.> 
> _______________________________________________> 
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats> > >

>  > _______________________________________________> 
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats> > 
>  > -- > No virus found in this incoming message.> Checked by AVG. > 
> Version: 7.5.524 / Virus Database: 269.23.6/1404 - Release Date: 
> 4/29/2008> 6:27 PM> > > > > > ------------------------------> > Message: 
> 5> Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 13:46:54 -0400> From: robbin roddewig 
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Subject: M_Boats: bimini for M-17 and 
> potty> To: For and about Montgomery Sailboats> 
> <[email protected]>> Message-ID: 
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Content-Type: text/plain; 
> charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed> > Listers,> I have been asked by the 
> admiral to look into the installation of a > Bimini on the flag ship of 
> the fleet, my M-17. I do not see any other > examples of 17's with a 
> Bimini and I could not see where Bob Eeg offers > this as an option on the

> new boats. Has anyone done this, considered > this or are there good 
> reasons I am not seeing other examples?> > Does anyone else have a built 
> in head? I have avoided the thing since I > purchased the boat (on the 
> general philosophy of ignorance is bliss) but > may want to use it in the 
> upcoming Chesapeake Bay cruise. Any advice on > this rather indelicate 
> topic? Looked like West Marine had some stuff to > put in the tank, which 
> I am assuming it has since there is a vent and a > pump out fitting with 
> hoses attached going to the deck. Will the head > go back to inert once it

> is pumped out? Should I consider a portable > replacement?> > Thanks in 
> advance,> Robbin> > > > > ------------------------------> > Message: 6> 
> Date: Sun, 04 May 2008 12:29:31 -0700> From: "Tom Jenkins" 
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Subject: M_Boats: dangling motors> To: "For and about 
> Montgomery Sailboats"> <[email protected]>> 
> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Content-Type: 
> text/plain; charset="us-ascii"> > Montgomery people,> > On occasion, 
> raising even a Honda 5 onto the outboard bracket of a 17 seems> 
> threatening to the skeleton, so I am wondering if any of you with a 21st> 
> century M17 leaves the iron jib in place while traveling. The transom and>

> bracket look strong, but I certainly would not want to compromise any of> 
> that nice fiberglass. > > Sorry if this has been discussed already.> > 
> Thanks,> > Tom Jenkins> > M17 Scintilla (2004) > > > 
>  > ------------------------------> > Message: 7> Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 
> 15:59:24 EDT> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> Subject: Re: M_Boats: bimini for 
> M-17 and potty> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], 
> [email protected]> Message-ID: 
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> Content-Type: text/plain; 
> charset="US-ASCII"> > Robbin,> > There was a thread on this delicate 
> subject back I think in December, and > based on what I learned then, and 
> following Doug Kelch's lead, I have bought (for > the same cruise) a Pett 
> dry toilet system, which seems to have a lot of > advantages over the 
> standard porta-potti. If you are thinking of replacing your > built-in, 
> you may want to consider it. Lots of information online on the > system, 
> which uses zipper bags pre-filled with chemicals which process the > 
> material into a semi-solid form which can legally be dumped into any trash

> bin. No > flushing, no tank to dump, and no necessity to scout for dumping

> facilities. > I found also that when the legs are removed it fits solidly 
> into the > starboard v-berth storage hatch opening. It's not flush with 
> the surround, but can > easily be closed and stored when not in use. Full 
> disclosure - I haven't used > it yet, but plan to test it out (informally,

> of course) sometime before the > cruise.> > Rick Davies> M-17 Lynne L 
> #633> > PS It's also cheaper than a porta-potti. > > > **************> 
> Wondering what's for > Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites 
> at AOL Food.> > 
> (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)> > 
>  > ------------------------------> > 
> _______________________________________________> montgomery_boats mailing 
> list> [email protected]> 
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats> > >

> End of montgomery_boats Digest, Vol 63, Issue 7> 
> ***********************************************
> _________________________________________________________________
> Windows Live SkyDrive lets you share files with faraway friends.
>
http://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_
skydrive_052008
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Sun, 4 May 2008 22:35:38 EDT
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: Re: M_Boats: dangling motors
> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED], [email protected]
> Message-ID: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII"
>
> My O.B. bracket has failed big time and has to be replaced -- or, rather,
> removed, and replaced by a repositionable bracket, which I've always 
> wished I
> had.   Of course, have to install an access port, so I can get backing 
> plates
> into the inside of the transom.
>
> In 25 years I've never heard the advice to remove the motor from the 
> bracket
> in transit.   I'd have always been happy to, just to toss it into the back

> of
> the vehicle.   Wish someone had said something about the stresses 
> involved,
> leaving it on.
>
>
> **************
> Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists
> on family favorites at AOL Food.
>
> (http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> montgomery_boats mailing list
> [email protected]
> http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats
>
>
> End of montgomery_boats Digest, Vol 63, Issue 9
> *********************************************** 


_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats



_______________________________________________
http://mailman.xmission.com/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/montgomery_boats

Reply via email to