I am in agreement with Claude.. but also some others as well..

when I think of a "collector".. I think of someone who has a passion
for collecting.. and passion is the key here.

a person who decorates his home like a few of the customers I had at
my shop are not collectors.. They have posters only because they
thought they were cool, needed decoration and posters are , as the
French would say "esprit decor" (the spirit of decoration).. they are
not collectors.

a casual buyer who continues to buy movie posters for many years
however is, even if he does not have the passion that collectors like
MoPoer's do.

and of course, a person like Nick Cage, Leonardo DeCaprio who have
passion are collectors.

Now what population range do I think there are for true collectors??
I'd say about 10,000.. But I would also say that this number has been
fairly constant for many years because as one collector moves in to
the hobby.. others move out or unfortunately pass on to the great
theatre in the sky

I think many collectors never buy on ebay, and many others never buy
through the mail. Others only buy through the mail as they have no
other source...