I am probably the youngest of the collectors on this site (just turned 26) and
have collected for the past 10 years since I started going to shows at 16. As a
torch carrer in a way I pay close attention to everyone's opinion without
speaking much as I'm still learning daily. Now that I work around antique maps
and engravings, on both sides of the fence, selling and restoring, my view on
restoration is broader than just film paper. I have to agree with rich and
david that film art paper is the most unstable, volatile, fragile and
imperative paper that needs restoration in any paper collecting I've seen bar
none.  The obvious nature of film paper deserves the best restoration possible
including touch ups and paper/linenbacking to preserve integrity. That being
said there is no immediate or growing need for slabbing other than investment
sake.   Certainly collector's should approach slabbing as an insult. I find
that anyone supporting slabbing is either from another hobby (and
 has made money slabbing) or is only collecting for investment.I haven't seen
slabbing in lobby cards.......yet....  I have seen slabbing in baseball cards
and talked to dealers who seemed to act above the hobby and didn't care about
the paper one bit.  that was a big tip off as to WHO and What kind of person
would slab.My guess is that the first slabbing we'll see is going to be
universal horror lobbies for obvious reasons.  I have nothing else to say
except that I don't want the prices for unslabbed mint posters to skyrocket
when slabbing takes in effect.  We should boycott any seller who tries to do
this or at least throw their tea in the water...

Richard Halegua Comic Art <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:  I am totally with David
on this..
as an art dealer of many years, restoration for "a work of art" is
imperative to it's survival
a movie poster of which there may be very few ( lik ethe Mummy) may
have restoration necessitated by the ravages of time

Personally I prefer to get unbacked posters, so if I want it, I
probably want a nice copy. But 3 sheets. 6 sheets.. absolutely need
backing to exhibit them even if they are mint copies.

There is a difference between restoration and recreation (as Andrea K
pointed out many moons ago when we debated the same issue)
But in the case of the Mummy 1 sheet that was majorly damaged, would
you advocate leaving it as it was when it was pulled from the
sandwich display board that it had been pasted to along with the
posters that were pasted over it? I find it hard to believe anyone
would say "yes"

as long as restoration is done with the same care that you would like
to have your antique car restored, it is a very worthwhile endeavor.
When it is done by some hack -of which there are too many- then it is a crime.

 Check outnew cars at Yahoo! Autos.