  From: David Kusumoto<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU<mailto:MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>
  Sent: Sunday, April 15, 2007 11:36 PM
  Subject: Re: [MOPO] A shift in thinking, linen-backing & slabbing?

  >my DOUBLE INDEMNITY one sheet has no missing pieces anywhere, but does have
  >seam separation.  colors are vibrant.  it has been framed for 20 years.
  >you can see the imperfections.  fair to value it at 3000 plus?   i could
  >get a mint repro for ten bucks.  get it?

  Nope, I don't get it.  If I owned your poster, maybe I wouldn't linen-back
  it either.  But if I took your line of reasoning a few steps further -- it
  sounds like you believe your Indemnity poster on linen with its fold
  separation touched up would plunge its value below $3,000.  Moreover, when
  you drag into your argument:  "i could get a mint repro for ten bucks" --
  this sounds like you think backing and restoring would make your poster look
  too perfect, like a repro, raising questions about its authenticity.  When
  you ask, "what's the point?" -- it sounds like you believe that backing and
  rstoring would undercut the rationale to spend a lot of money for -- and to
  preserve the value of -- an original poster w/defects that you're proud to
  own.

  For you, preserving value and authenticity means this -- don't touch
  anything.  But to me, it also means -- let the natural effects of aging run
  their course on paper more than 60 years old that you have chosen to
  DISPLAY.  Well, I don't think sophisticated collectors with several thousand
  dollars to spend -- are unable to spot the differences between a folded,
  conservatively restored, 1944 Double Indemnity 27x41 poster on linen -- with
  a $10 glossy 26x39 rolled repro with no fold lines.  I know you're
  passionate with your anti-backing and anti-restoration beliefs, but I think
  you're too optimistic about the life span of old paper decorated with
  colored inks.  I might be wrong, but this is my view.

  -koose.