getting back to Michael B and keeping it simple  i think  somehow  michael assumes that people who would do restoration and linenback their posters would be just as happy or happier having a mint repro which is rediculous. on the other hand i am very happy with my king kong repro http://hamptonscinemaposters.net because i know i will never in this lifetime be able to afford a style A 3 sheet restored or otherwise (maybe there will be a few preserved linenbacked ones for my next life)..now i have to say in regards to what sean wrote though i obviously am pro linenbacking if i had a real high end piece of the type sean mentions frank,freaks etc in good condition and i knew i wanted to sell it as todd f does  i would not linenback it. in part because i would be thinking there are potential buyers who would be suspect about what was done to the poster or that i would miss the buyer who wants only unrestored non linenbacked posters. Now a question can posters be deacidified and then not be linenbacked? and finally funny not much difference between linkenback and linenback...i have to go to work...Alan
-----MoPo List <mopo-l@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU> wrote: -----

To: MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU
From: Sean Linkenback <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: MoPo List <mopo-l@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>
Date: 04/16/2007 01:15AM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] A shift in thinking, linen-backing & slabbing?

I always find it amusing when someone asks about the preference of
linenbacking vs. not and people then immediately jump to the (il-)logical
conclusion that because a collector would prefer to buy a poster un-restored
if he/she can find it that said collector has "zero-tolerance" towards
backing and restoration.

I don't know of a single collector that has zero-tolerance for linenbacked
one-sheets.  I know many who (all things being equal) prefer non-linenbacked
ones though.
If linenbacking is so great and necessary, why hasn't a very visible and top
collector like Todd Feiertag linenbacked his Freaks 1-sheet or his Bride of
Frankenstein 1-sheet?  Because for many items it just isn't necessary.

Yes, there are a great many posters that would benefit from cleaning,
restoration, and linenbacking and doing so would in most cases increase or
possibly even greatly increase their value, but it does not mean they would
attain the same value as a totally un-restored poster that is already in the
same condition the restored one now appears to be in.

I prefer unbacked posters myself if/when they are available and yet my
favorite poster in my collection is linenbacked, hanging on the wall and I
admire it every day. This doesn't make me a hypocrite, just a realist that I
wanted to own this poster and was happy to get it any way I could.  If the
opportunity ever presents itself and I can find a nice condition un-backed
one I will happily upgrade.

Sean Linkenback