To: <MoPo-L@LISTSERV.AMERICAN.EDU>
Sent: Tuesday, June 02, 2009 1:00 PM
Subject: Re: [MOPO] OT: Susan Boyle losing

And into the fray steps G.D.....
Carrie Underwood has a fantastic voice, but I would rather give oral pleasure to Oprah Winfrey than listen to Modern Pop Country, which, as a genre of music, makes me break out in itchy, pus-spewing hives. Underwood has a first-class set of pipes but is using them to sing, in THIS man's opinion, crap music. Shame on her. Give me Billy Joe Shaver or Kasey Chambers for country with balls (or in Chambers' case, ovaries. Her "Barricades and Brick Walls" tune makes me think about every psychotic ex-girlfriend I ever dated.). Kellie Clarkson is nowhere near the singer that Underwood is, she's gotten fat and weird, but I love her early, dumb teen rock singles. It's crap, but to moi, it's GREAT crap. It makes me act like Tom Cruise dancing around in his underwear in "Risky Business" (I know, TMI!). It's pure junk, but it's junk that moves me, kind of like the musical equivalent of an Ed Wood film. Susan Boyle? I hope she makes a lot of money, very quickly. She'll need it to pay for that prolonged stay in the mental institution she's destined for after dealing with the music business for a couple of years. Give me a call, Susie-sweetie-baby-cookie. We need to talk. In the end, arguing about music with somebody is like trying to teach a pig to dance; it's frustrating for you, and it's annoying to the pig. That being said, I still love to do it, and I will be hurt and confused for weeks if Rich doesn't send me a personal e-mail with the subject "Kellie Clarkson Stinks!" Back to movies...I saw "Up!" yesterday, and it's not just another home run for Pixar, it's a grand slam. Funny, moving, and there are lots of visual references to other films and pop images, the most obvious being the "King Kong" Empire State Building scene and the classic painting you see everywhere of dogs playing poker. I can't imagine anyone but the most curmudgeonly, fault-finding naysayer not liking this one.
Greg Douglass
Also of Scottish ancestry, and proud of it, despite that extra "S" on my name...(it's a long story...)
Richard Halegua Comic Art wrote:
Kelly Clarkson stinks