Brek

You are dead on in some respects. 25 years ago, Bette Davis items sold for
ten times what Joan Crawford items did. Why? There was a lot of talk about
how she was a bigger star, but what it really came down to was that the
handful of top Davis collectors who set the prices had a lot greater
willingness to spend money than the Crawford collectors. The same was true
of Laurel and Hardy vs Abbott and Costello.

Over time, these things tend to even out. All the time I see areas of
collecting where the prices are being set by just two or three people, and I
know that once those people are out of the picture, we will see significant
changes in those prices.

Cowboy posters are by and large down a fair amount over the past few years.
I would say the leading cause of this is likely the double whammy of some
leading cowboy collectors passing away, and having their huge collections
sold into the marketplace, thus greatly increasing the supply while the
demand is lowered, which obviously lowers prices.

Collectors are a fickle group, and today's "hot" posters are often "icy
cold" tomorrow. The very worst collecting strategy is to buy the very
hottest items at the peak of their hotness. Had you bought the best Bette
Davis lobby cards at the height of "Bette Davis mania" 25 years ago, you
could not even get your money back today.

As always, buy what you really like, try to get the best within a
collectible type, and diversify if you possibly can (far better to collect
one item each on 20 stars you like rather than 20 items on one star, to
avoid putting all your eggs in one basket).

Some people disagree with these ideas, but 40 yearsin collectibles tells me
they are correct.

Bruce