> Last winter we shipped some posters to the UK during
> the extreme inclimate weather by First Class Mail.  These items were hung up
> for over two months.

Dear Kirby and Freeman,

within the last month, I received a significant number of packages sent First
Class, not a single one took longer than two weeks, some got here within less
than ten days, all of them were delivered straight to my mailbox.

USPS claims that Priority Mail takes about 7-10 days or so. In my experience,
this is NONSENSE: I had TWO packages shipped Priority Mail recently: The first
one shipped a full month ago and I just got notice from customs that I can pick
it up, so I'm going to waste half a work day on that one. (And we're talking
about a value of merely US-$50 here.)
The other package was apparently shipped mid-November, no trace of it so far
and as it seems, the seller has lost the tracking number. I do not doubt that
he shipped it, but it's been a month and it's no here yet.
If agreed upfront, and if I feel confident about the seller, I'm perfectly
happy to cover the risk of an actual loss. With this seller, I would have been
happy to do so in this case, all I would have requested is postage at actual
cost and the said Certificate of Mailing, and he wouldn't have any worries.
On the other hand, when I'm made to pay for Priority and the seller can't show
the tracking number, I will obviously file a Paypal claim, if my order has not
arrived after a month.

In over 15 years of mail order business, I think I had less than 10 items that
were actually lost in the mail system, and that counts for both incoming AND
outgoing mail. I lost a lot more money to sellers who never actually shipped my
order.

To each his own, but as I said before, in my personal every-day experience,
Priority Mail holds NO advantage for me, it costs a lot of my money AND my time
through the now inevitable customs hassle, so unless I'm really crazy about
something and/or it's an irresistible deal, I more and more avoid sellers who
are unwilling to work with me on this.

Helmut