> [Mel]
> Not for profit operations often operate less efficiently
> and squander any chance of surplus and returns less
> if anything to community.
>
> [Krimel]
> This is not only wrong it is down right offensive.

Good Lord -- as if your being "offended" as anything to do with the
validity of Mel's views.

> Non-profits tend to
> be
> mission driven. Unlike for profits they have a purpose for existing
> beyond
> the mundane profit motive.

Without profit (surplus) , non-profits couldn't exist.

> They have Values.

Profit is a Value.

> Some non-profits like the
> Salvation Army, the Red Cross or even the Catholic Church have assets
> and
> annual budgets in the billions of dollars. Others like small business
> are
> run by well meaning people with high ideals and little administrative
> ability. Like entrepreneurs these too can fail.

One can only hope that some nonprofits fail, like Acorn who promote
fraudulent voting.

> I have personally worked with a number of non-profits over the years.
> Their
> staff members tend to be dedicated and underpaid relative to the private
> sector. But many people find it satisfying when their work means
> something,
> when it helps others and advances Values other than profit.

I have personally worked for a number of profit-making enterprises. Many of
their non-union employees are dedicated, find their work meaningful, and
believe their efforts help others and advance society's well-being.

(skip)

> Many services provided by non-profits are the kinds of services that the
> private sector either can't or won't touch or when they do they botch
> the
> job. Homeless services for example are often provided by faith based
> non-profits in part because there is so little money available for this
> purpose that only the call of God can motivate people to tackle such
> tasks.

The call of God? Are you suggesting God is a moral authority?

> You say, they return less, if anything to the community? My God man,
> please
> go to your local United Way office and ask about the services provided
> by
> their member organizations. Ask about the budget allocation process. Ask
> about the number served and the unmet need in your community.

Need is not a claim. Further, charity can create dependency.

> In fact or at least in theory the only difference between a private and
> non-profit organization is what happens to the "profits". In the private
> sector profits are dumped into the pockets of owners and investors. In
> non-profits surplus funds are reinvested into the mission of the
> organization.

In practice, profits are also dumped into taxes and the pockets of non-
profit organizations. Sometimes non-profit "surpluses" (an oxymoron) serve
only to pad executive salaries.

> One might be so crass as to say the difference between the two is that
> non-profits are driven by and support a host of different human values.
> For
> profits value cash, often at the expense of every other human value.

Money (cash) is a consummate human value because it facilitates mutually
beneficial exchange between individuals. It is essential to the operation
of free market.

Platt