Hello Platt,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Platt Holden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, October 16, 2008 12:16 PM
Subject: Re: [MD] growth and sustainability

Platt
> Mel:
>
> High quality post. I especially liked your observations about 1) how
> government meddling prolonged the great depression and 2) the moral aspect
> of pain. The latter was specifically noted by Pirsig:

mel,
Thank you. I am glad for your apreciation.
I am always amazed at how much there is for us to think about
and learn and how easliy we as a society just surrender the
so called intellectual ground to 'credentialed experts.'  And how
easily we find ourselves repeating what is little more than slogan
or 'iconic level' statements of old SQ arguments.

The MOQ group seems to carry a high willingness to trample
all over the groomed intellectual ground in a high DQ game
of tag.  (A good thing)

Platt
> "If you eliminate suffering from this world you eliminate life. There's no
> evolution. Those species that don't suffer don't survive. Suffering is the
> negative face of the Quality that drives the whole process." (Lila,29)

That is a great quote.  I guess the niche-fitness of turtles is a
low suffering one, hence their relative stability since before there
were dinosaurs.  And that contrasts considerably  with the dynamics
shown by primate-kind.

thanks--mel