good quote of Pirsig, Platt.
Thanks.

woods

________________________________
From: Platt Holden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, October 22, 2008 3:39:25 PM
Subject: Re: [MD] growth and sustainability

Hi Andre,

An excellent lesson in unintended consequences of government action in the
name of the "public good."  I am especially taken by your description of
government action in your second paragraph as a "push to . . ." It reminded
me of the language used in the U.S. Congress's recent $700 billion bail out
bill where government action is described as "encourage to . . ." What is
meant, of course, is "Do it or else." Few people realize that government
power, for good or ill, ultimately rests at the point of a gun. Pirsig
does:

"All the laws of history, all the arguments, all the Constitutions and the
Bills of Rights and Declarations of Independence are nothing more than
instructions to the military and police. If the military and police can't
or don't follow these instructions properly they might as well have never
been written." (Lila, 24)

Platt

http://moq.org.uk/pipermail/moq_discuss_archive/