Hello David,

good post...

To address your last point, since I lack self-control
when it comes to  potty humor...if you're running
Windows, chances are Bill Gates pooped on your
computer first.. :-)

mel said to Bo:
As the functional physiology of the brain is described, the seat of emotions
is in the "reptile brain," <snip>

dmb quotes Pirsig:
“For years we’ve read about how values are supposed to emanate from some
location in the “lower” centers of the brain. This location has never been
clearly identified. The mechanism for holding these values is completely
unknown. No one has ever been able to add to a person’s values by inserting
one at this location, or observed any significant changes at this location
as a result of a change of values. No evidence has been presented that if
this portion of the brain is anesthetized or even lobotomized the patient
will make a better scientist as a result because all his decisions will then
be “value-free.” Yet we’re told values must reside here, if they exist at
all, because where else could they be?”

At the time that Pirsig wrote that, as reflected in the next to last
sentence,
the theory of brain operation was more highly operation-local than is now
thought to be the case.  Now I believe that brain theory understands the
operatons to be more distributed and transformational over large parts
of the brain... Instead of values residing in one place like a file on a
hard
drive, the brain operation is more likely to derive the value on the spot
by using all the information you know now as values in a transform
"equation," the nature of which is conditioned by your experience,
capabilities, and memory.  (Of course over a long conversation you might
have decided a value long ago and simply stored the memory of THAT
value-decision and you simply remember it and barf it back, unprocessed.
Like I'm a Republican or I'm a Democrat...of course sometime we reexamine
and the "plug-in" information to variables changes, so we
"Change our Minds."

dmb
This is tricky business and it's not exactly clear to me. I suppose the
neurological explanations will tend to confuse the issue because they tend
to smuggle SOM back into the equation and Pirsig's comment about emotions
being a biological response is often understood that way. I've seen people
interpret the hot stove example that way too, as a physiological response to
the low quality of the situation. This tends to denigrate "value" as a low
grade thing that needs to be overcome and adjusted by a more sophisticated
understanding. And then beyond that, there's probably some confusion that
involves the difference between value as a dynamic experience, as the
immediately felt quality of the situation, and the static levels with which
we can respond and which play a role in our subsequent explanations of the
experience.

I think it's interesting to notice that emotions are felt in the whole body.
William James noticed that people blush before they even realize they're
embarrassed. Ever notice how seeing a really hot babe will be immediately
felt around the top of the belly and just below the heart. Bam! Like cupid's
arrow, it seems to hit you as if from the outside. It doesn't seem to be
located in the mind or the brain or even in the groin but rather the center
of whole organism.

Tricky business indeed.  Partly, I think, because as you say,  we  see the
neurological investigations and the hypotheses of brain operation with the
SOM embedded and often an acceptance of the so called mind-body problem
which the neurologist often feels he must solve by saying it's all body and
the host of contrary ist, ism, ic, and such say it's all mind.  Instead of
realizing that the mind-body problem was a suspect philosophical
formulation in the first place.

dmb
Recently I read a little story in Frans de Waal's "Primates and
Philosophers". There was a boy 10 or 12 years old who was rather cruel to
his camel. For several days he'd been beating the poor thing with a stick in
an effort, apparently, to get the camel to work much harder than it wanted
to. The grown ups said, basically, hey you better take it easy on that camel
or you'll be sorry. So he backed off a bit. But three days after a
particularly brutal beating this camel found itself alone on a road with the
boy, who'd dismounted and was walking around. The camel chose that moment,
away from the eyes of any witnesses, to bite the boy's skull. Ripped his
brian wide open and killed the boy in an apparent act of revenge. De Waal's
point, I think, was to say that animals can hold a grudge. He studies
primate behavior and his book is full of evidence for this capacity among
our closest relatives. He shows how the higher animals exhibit all sorts of
things that we usually think of as exclusively human capacities. They show
an aversion to cruelty, a sense of fairness, a capacity for empathy, and
even a capacity to enforce certain "rules", to teach the young one's how to
behave. De Waal is making a case that the differences between them and us
are so great as we tend to imagine and that we ought to be rethinking these
things.

Agreed.
To me it has been long clear that we underestimate the capacity of animals
in so many ways and we over estimate the differences between ourselves
and them.  But then intellect as an evolutionalry level for our species is
newborn and still wet behind the ears.  We don't use it as often as we
pretend, but we readily repeat what we have been told as-if-we-are-actually-
using-intellect, instead of merely repeating remembered phrases and words.

dmb
And in my other class, psychology of religion, we were looking at Freud's
ideas about the social repression of our instincts and she pointed out that
we repress our pets to a certain extent. It's almost funny but it's true,
ain't it? We can see a dog's guilt when its been naughtly. I swear my dog
had a look the other day that said, hey I know it was wrong but I just
couldn't help it so gimme a break. She was sick and pooped on the rug.
Normally, she can wait for hours. Seems she can wait longer than I can, if
fact.

Ooops, I just pooped on my computer.

Gotta go.

dmb