> I'm reading Do I Really Have to Teach Reading? by Cris Tovani in which she
> says that teens would rather be lazy than stupid.  I asked my students (in
> one class) if they think that's true.  They did.  More disappointment.
> Jan

Here's an idea which won't make them sound stupid:

Have them bring in lyrics to their favorite songs.  Have them read them
aloud to practice fluency and prosody (of course, you have to make sure
lyrics are okay for school).  Then have them explain the song.  See if
students will agree on the interpretations.  Since you probably won't be as
familiar with the songs, they will get to be the teachers.  For example, I
use "So Happy Together" by the Turtles to explain it's about a stalker
("IMAGINE me and you, I do...").  That gets their attention.  I also play
"Mac the Knife" and "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" by the Beatles which are about
serial killers.  It's reading, interpreting, schema, and more!

Bill