In a message dated 7/21/2007 9:24:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Our  district does that with the Reading First mentality, especially in  the
primary grades.  When the literacy coaches (reading  police)

I don't teach in a reading first school, I am the one with fidelty to  HM.
We also has a literacy coach last year who we referred to as the  lesson plan
police.  She would come in with her little clip board to check  your
objectives-which had to be written daily some where for the children to  read.
(strangely enough,when  I went to school the teachers didn't  write objectives
on the
board and I wasn't traumatized by it).  I got smart  about what I wrote for my
objectives and made them deliberatley vague and  generic so that I didn't
have to rewrite them all each week.  I  specifically asked her one time if my
higher level students could read a novel  during small group time-even the ones
that come with the basal-and she said,  "Why would you want to do that"?  My
reply, "So we could read some  authentic literature".  She told me that I
couldn't do that.   UGH!!!  We are also not allowed to integrate any other
subjects
into our  literacy block-90 minutes + 30 additional minutes for writing.  This
leaves  very little time for Math, Social Studies, Science and Health.  I
wonder  what teaching was like when teachers got to use their own brains.

Rosie