On Aug 24, 2007, at 6:55 AM, ljackson wrote:

> As a parent and educator, I find the desire to get rid of lingering
> parents
> offensive.  I always began the day with morning meeting and it was
> OPEN to
> all parents and family members.  They will happily go away once you
> give
> them a reason to trust you.

And of course we want to be inclusive and have our classroom open to
parents, but having just gone through a Kindergarten orientation in
which the teacher was trying to read the children a story and parents
were in the back of the room having LOUD personal conversations that
had absolutely nothing to do with school or even their children, I
believe that at some point the parents need to leave the room and go
have a day to themselves while the children do their school job. :-)

Perhaps "get rid of" was not the best phrase. :-)

Renee

Deep down we must have real affection for each other, a clear
realization or recognition of our shared human status.  At the same
time, we must openly accept all ideologies and systems as a means of
solving humanity's problems.  One country, one nation, one ideology,
one system is not sufficient.
~ The Dalai Lama