Renee,

You're not sounding crotchety, just practical.  The important, and
unanswered question is:  why are parents lingering?  If it's to
socialize with one another, ask them to leave.  "Parents, it's story
time...please feel free to quietly pull up a chair and join us, or if
you prefer, step out in the hall to continue your visit."

This said, I stand by my caution.  "Getting rid of parents" is not an
accidental phrase.  I think best remedy for Chris' "worry" and your
frustration about lingering parents is to trust them, and speak
honestly and openly with them.  Some might get mad or critical, but
if you speak clearly and in the best interests of the children,
you're on firm ground. The key is to be clear within ourselves, then
speak openly to them, assuming their on our side from day one.   In
my experience parents respect this kind of straight talk, so long as
you're not laying blame on them, just enlisting their cooperation.