On Aug 24, 2007, at 5:35 AM, Chris Preston wrote:

> I'm trying to remember what book it is in that gives the rationale for
> letting the kids organize the classroom Library and do their own
> bulletin boards.
> Does anyone remember?
> Also, since I am switching from 5th down to 3rd, I'm a little worried
> about how to get rid of the lingering parents on the first day of
> school.
> Any ideas?

I don't remember what book gives rationale for this specifically, but
then I don't think you need a "book rationale" to do it (nor do I think
you need a "book rationale" for many teacher strategies. But off the
top of my head I can think of a few books that would support it:
Empowering the Child, Starting from Scratch, anything by John Holt.....

As for the parents, just stand at the door and make an announcement
that it's time for moms and dads to leave now and they will be back
later, after school is over. And shut the door. I taught third grade
for about ten years and this was never a real problem. Now
Kindergarten..... hahaha

Renee

"The thing always happens that you really believe in; and the belief in
a thing makes it happen."
~ Frank Lloyd Wright