From: Bill Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>
Sent: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 1:15 pm
Subject: Re: [MOSAIC] spelling lists

> In a message dated 9/20/2007 5:42:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> By the  way, I hate phonics. Could that be because that is not how I was
> taught? Or  maybe because I moved ten times in six years and each school
> district
> did  something different? Or maybe because it feels  inauthentic?

Phonics is no different than any other skill.  The problem is some people
don't stop and think about when and where teaching these skills are
appropriate or no longer needed.  Phonics is great for K-3 for children
learning to recognize words and word sounds, but once they've learned it,
there's no need to beat a dead horse.  Same can be said  for just about
anything:

AR is great for a kid who doesn't read because it makes the kid read....once
he or she finds an author or genre they enjoy, they should be left to
discover for themselves the fun in reading....not forced to read for points.
I'm teaching mostly advanced classes this year, but too many of them think
reading is only about points.  That's not a fault of the program, but a
fault of the teaching.

Fluency is important for someone who reads one word at a time because it
teaches them to group words in patterns that make sense, once a child "gets
it" there's no need to pound in their heads, but many teachers confuse the
act with the skill.  Too many teachers think fluency is about speed or AR is
about points.  They are about helping kids.

The same thing happens with the reading strategies.  Some teach, for
example, "visualization" and will spend a few lessons on the concept, but
that isn't teaching for visualization.  Many teachers think that if they
give the idea to the kids, the kids will asorb it somehow.  That's that
"empty vessel waiting to be filled" philosophy that has permeated education
since the dawn of time....that's one of the few pluses of state tests and
collecting data....you can gear instruction for individual needs and
weaknesses; if you truly teach a strategy, then it will become second
nature.

The teaching materials / lessons / programs / etc. are only as good as the
teacher....

Bill