And, you know, sometimes you are hungrier for some things than others.  And
sometimes you may have a period that you just really need some roughage!> > I
think we can teach phonics in a balanced approach to literacy instruction,> but
need to think of it as a buffet--as long as no one is malnourished,> readers
can pretty much select the dishes that work for them.> > Lori> > > On 9/24/07
5:16 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:> > > > > I did not
"get" phonics when I was learning to read...but I was a great reader> > anyway.
I think that is why I don't see the point of insisting that all> > students
learn through phonics. However, I have taught some students who> > needed the
"rules" to learn to read. Keep in mind that it is a means to an> > end; it can
be easily tested and mastered by most students. And then it is a> > valuable
tool in learning to do "real" reading.> > > > > > > > But comprehension is not
easily taught or mastered... it is a process... and> > it is more challenging
to teach...and?to measure.> > > > > > > > Cathy> > > > K-5 > > > > DE> > > > >
> -----Original Message-----> > From: Bill Roberts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> > To:
Mosaic: A Reading Comprehension Strategies Email Group> >
<mosaic@literacyworkshop.org>> > Sent: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 1:15 pm> > Subject: Re:
[MOSAIC] spelling lists> > > > > > > > > > > >> In a message dated 9/20/2007
5:42:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,> >> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:> >> > >> By the
way, I hate phonics. Could that be because that is not how I was> >> taught? Or
maybe because I moved ten times in six years and each school> >> district> >>
did something different? Or maybe because it feels inauthentic?> >> > > > >
Phonics is no different than any other skill. The problem is some people> >
don't stop and think about when and where teaching these skills are> >
appropriate or no longer needed. Phonics is great for K-3 for children> >
learning to recognize words and word sounds, but once they've learned it,> >
there's no need to beat a dead horse. Same can be said for just about> >
anything:> > > > AR is great for a kid who doesn't read because it makes the
kid read....once> > he or she finds an author or genre they enjoy, they should
be left to> > discover for themselves the fun in reading....not forced to read
for points.> > I'm teaching mostly advanced classes this year, but too many of
them think> > reading is only about points. That's not a fault of the program,
but a> > fault of the teaching.> > > > Fluency is important for someone who
reads one word at a time because it> > teaches them to group words in patterns
that make sense, once a child "gets> > it" there's no need to pound in their
heads, but many teachers confuse the> > act with the skill. Too many teachers
think fluency is about speed or AR is> > about points. They are about helping
kids.> > > > The same thing happens with the reading strategies. Some teach,
for> > example, "visualization" and will spend a few lessons on the concept,
but> > that isn't teaching for visualization. Many teachers think that if they>
> give the idea to the kids, the kids will asorb it somehow. That's that> >
"empty vessel waiting to be filled" philosophy that has permeated education> >
since the dawn of time....that's one of the few pluses of state tests and> >
collecting data....you can gear instruction for individual needs and> >
weaknesses; if you truly teach a strategy, then it will become second> >
nature.> > > > The teaching materials / lessons / programs / etc. are only as
good as the> > teacher....> > > > Bill> > > > > > > >
your membership please go to> >
http://literacyworkshop.org/mailman/options/mosaic_literacyworkshop.org.> > > >
Search the MOSAIC archives at http://snipurl.com/MosaicArchive.> > > > -- >
Lori Jackson> District Literacy Coach & Mentor> Todd County School District>
Box 87> Mission SD 57555> > http:www.tcsdk12.org> ph. 605.856.2211> > >
Literacies for All Summer Institute> July 17-20. 2008> Tucson, Arizona> > > > >