Knowing about language from a linguistic point of view helps me understand
why so many children have issues with /j/ and /d/ (they are very close in
terms of where they are voiced...).  But how can you tell an emergent reader
to get his mouth ready for the sound as a strategy, when you don't address
sounds.  And I certainly don't mean one letter at a time or sound by sound,
or even to imply that children should not attempt reading before they need
sounds... Only that in order to respond to children's needs, we must
understand process and how to support children at varying points of
difficulty.  I am with you, doing sounds is more important than naming them.

Lori

--
Lori Jackson
District Literacy Coach & Mentor