In a message dated 9/22/07 9:32:31 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> In a message dated 9/20/2007 5:42:24 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>
> By the  way, I hate phonics. Could that be because that is not how I was
> taught? Or  maybe because I moved ten times in six years and each school
> district
> did  something different? Or maybe because it feels  inauthentic?
>

> Joy,
>
> I totally agree.  I just don't get phonics.  This was obviously  not the way
> I was taught to read.  I can spell the word, use it in a  sentence, etc.
> but
> I have no clue what the long or short vowel sound  is.  There are so many
> exceptions to a phonics rule that it doesn't really  seem like a rule.
>
> Rosie

I don't post much but i had to respond.   When I was in grad school, we were
never taught to teach phonics.   We used to joke that it was the "p word" and
it was to be avoided.   Having said that, last year at my school we were
presented with a great deal of research that stated that it was essential that
children in grades k-2 are explicitely taught phonics in a systematic way,
teaching each phoneme at a time.   We were told that lessons should be whole
group
and should be taught through oral langauge games.    We made up a phonics
continuum from k-2 and started using it last November.   From my experience, it
was
fantastic.   It seemed to help my students tremendously.   They were able to
decode many difficult words quickly once they were explicitely taught phonemes
such as /igh/ /dge/, and   /tch/.   Of course, many, many words we encounter
to not follow the phonics rules.   Phonics is not the end all and be all.    It
is just one more important part of teaching reading along with sight word
recognition, decoding skills such as using the picture and monitering for
meaning, shared reading, guided reading, and independent reading.

Cami